Someone asked me how many social networks I belong to. I said, way too many. I have a circuit that I go on daily. It’s becoming a shorter list, minus blogs (which that is getting bigger by the day.)
There’s little difference between networks out out there. There were some innovative little ideas here and there, but those niche sites only seem to garner enough attention to substantiate for an ADD child.
I am forever thankful for the people that I have met though. There is no way possible I would have come in contact with such a base spread out as even the tiny portion of what I have.
Friendfeed’s condensed RSS has been a godsent for weeding through the junk sites. I can see the majority of interesting content from my peers and through my peers peers. I learn. I grow. I develop new ideas and am inspired.
What’d I’d really like to see is something actually different come out of the social sphere. Many of the applications are essentially the same derivative package, reformatted and choked back up again. Aggregated RSS’ers, clones, a mess of additional applications to clutter and take away from the basic functionality.
I thought that the principle of social networking was to mainstream more effective means of communication. I think we are getting there. But it’s still a lot of tape and airport signals.. go this way, go that way.
And, although social media is becoming more and more mainstream, there are still many left out. Quite frankly, as user friendly as it seems, it really isn’t. I can’t even begin to tell you how many people have turned their heads and went “Um what’s a twitter?” “What’s social capital?” It’s why sites like myspace still thrive.
For many immersed in it, some of these sites really are laughable. We go to the new ones and gladly hunt invites not necessarily for what’s on there, but to be trendy and one up that schmuck who doesn’t have an “in” on the newest party favor. (I have some brightkite invites left btw, if you want one just message me)
I love social media. I am admittedly an addict. Like a true “drug addict” though, I want more.
- I’d like to see some modern (minimal, yet functional) design.
- Leave the spam for the can. If your sn is good enough, you will get free advertising from me without having to force it down my throat.
- I could do without as much customization looks wise as I would like actually useful applications. ie- I like when you give me the option to send a message to multiple people in private. I do not care for x dumb “what are my friends worth.” And even if I do, I don’t want my friends to have to see that. See point 2 above.
- I want to see a UI dumb enough that I run into my computer illiterate relatives and friends. (Hi Mom)
- I want to do fun things from my mobile without having to have a data package.
- I want to see some sleeker, less smoke and mirrors interfaces.
- I’d like to see some of these social networks die already.
- I’d like to see some actually worthwhile ones pop up.
- And most importantly, I want to listen. Because it’s the stories more than anything and the exchange of ideas that really appeals most about this to me.
And that’s all I’ve got to say.. bout that. (for now)